Monday, July 1, 2013

Steve Wampler's ascent of El Capitan




Steve Wamplers ascent


Steve Wampler attended a camp for kids with disabilities for several summers. He heard that it was going to be closed and he advised his wife that he's love to buy the camp but not charge the campers any fees. So as a fund raiser for his non-profit organization he thought he might be able to raise some money if he climbed EL Capitan Peak in Yosimite. This task is hard in and of itself but Steve Wampler has Cerebral Palsy. With each pull of his handle, which was fixed to the rope, he ascended the peak at 2" to 6" at a time. The climb took six days but ....the camp is open and running because of it. The above video tells a little bit how it all started. In 2010 Steve completed his quest!

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't get the link to work on my computer. I'll try it later and see if I can get it to work. I'd like to see it, good story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Greg- this is an interesting article, its amazing what one can accomplish with such limitations. This would be neat video to share with my students, to help encourage them in their difficulties. I wasn't able to watch video, will to google Steve Wampler.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Greg,
    :) Your blog seems simple and straight forward.

    ReplyDelete